Thursday, February 21, 2008

Great Lake Brewing Co.


I was really beginning to like these little sketches, so I figured that I had better improve the paper. This is on a hot-pressed sheet of Fabriano Artistico. I was going to get Arches, but it was a little more firbrous which I thought my technical pen wouldn't like.
I slept in this morning (until 8am), which meant that I had a very vivid dream this morning. I dreamed that I was working in a fish shop in a mall where I was gutting and filleting the fish. Then, I also moonlighted at one of those warehouse style grocery stores, where I helped a guy in a beard stack giant boxes of cereal, even though he kept almost tipping them over. Then, I had to help him find a particular brand of cereal, but there didn't seem to be any, even when looking up 30 feet to the top shelves.
Today is an off-day for me, and I'm mulling over what I might want to do today. Haven't decided much besides going to the grocery store and taking the car to the car wash.

11 comments:

Teri said...

A beautiful sketch! I just love it! Makes me want to go out and do one also.

Unknown said...

I really love your drawings, there's so much life in them, it's beautiful. x

Tami said...

These are great! I like the way you captured the the feeling of the buildings.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a nice comment. Yeah, I do do the sketch again with people in it but it was an "in the moment thing" so I probably won't. I did think about it a bit though.

Elizabeth said...

Your drawings are great! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I use to have a tank full of fish that I got attached to and they all had little "personalities" of sorts. My favorite one was Alfred the cat fish. I love your little drawing in Whole Foods :) My daughter loves to do illustrations and she often is drawing at Whole Foods,waiting for me to pick her up from school. Thanks again for stopping by.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you stopped by my blog - I might never have found yours otherwise! I love your style...I'm going to send a link to my oldest son Jordan, who is finishing up high school next year and moving on (hopefully)to Automotive Design. He draws cars every day, and I just know he will love to see the magic you've created with pastels.
I haven't tried pastels since 8th grade, still scared that I'll have a big smudge from here to Cleveland :-)

Mark Kwasny said...

This is the kind of work you do on days when you're not sure what to do?? Would love to see your art when you ARE sure what to do. Love the detail and color.

Mark

Anonymous said...

greta stuff, love street scens like this. how is the paper? i've never used that stuff but hear it's very good.

Maureen said...

Pete,
It's very nice. I'm not using a lot of liquid, so it's not rippling or warping. But, I get the feeling that if it gets really wet, it would be a problem if it weren't stretched.

The technical pens work very well, but my 3x0 did catch on some fibers here and there, but then it's really, really small.

Robyn Sinclair said...

I love this streetscape - so much character in our sketch. And I see you've been sketching my old home town, Sydney. I've never been to the top of the Harbour Bridge - no head for heights.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog, I hope you come again.

brian nelson said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment! I am really enjoying your art! Love this street scene!

Jana Bouc said...

Very interesting dreams. I wonder what the gutting fish dream was about?