Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Taste of Tremont

Enjoyed a gloriously hot summer afternoon at the Taste of Tremont. We got there before it actually started so that we would be able to get a good sketch in before the crowds showed up. And, boy, did the crowds show up! Lots and lots of people were there. Last year, they estimated 20,000 people there.

So, what did we eat? It was good that all of the booths had small servings, because you get a better taste. We started with Chicken Paprikash, but I'm not sure who it was from. Then, my friend got mac and cheese from Lolita. Then, I got nachos from Grumpy's which had 3 kinds of beans and a great salty/sweet taste. We never did identify the sweet, though it might have been on the chips. Then, fried wonton chips with bacon quacamole from bac. Then, I saw on facebook that Lilly Chocolates was going to have ice cream floats. I had an orange cream soda float (with malted vanilla bean ice cream), Noreen had a root beer float. Then, we hit up Cookie and a Cupcake. Now, I've heard a lot about them, but I had figured that it was all hype. I mean, they're cupcakes, seriously. . . . Okay, now. . . . Let me just say, it was incredible. I just went for a yellow cake with chocolate ice cream, and it was truly the best! I was going to get short rib sliders from Dim and Den Sum, but they sold out in the first 20-30 minutes, which uh, seriously? The event was to go on for 8-9 hours!

If that wasn't enough, I got a cabbage roll from Prosperity Social Club to take home. It was great too.

That's not counting the cute necklace that I got for $4 from Banyan Tree. We were there for about four hours. We strolled into St. John's to look around, and it's shocking that churches as beautiful as this may one day disappear.

No comments: