Monday, September 5, 2011

Idea Center



When I went to sit and draw the Idea Center, I found a concrete bench/piece of art to sit on. It was the words "Change" and "Things." Depending on where you looked at it, it was either "Change Things" or "Things Change." As I was sitting there, a man came up to me to ask me for a sandwich for him and his wife. When I draw downtown, I sometimes bring food with me just for this kind of thing. I had forgotten yesterday morning, and because I had my sketchbag with me, the only money I had were a few quarters meant for parking meters. I went to give him those, and a guy in a car at the stoplight on Huron yelled for the man to leave me alone. I said, "No, it's okay." I gave the man those quarters, and then I think the man in the car had a change of mind. He hollered over that he didn't mean anything by that, he just wanted to make sure that I knew that I didn't have to give the man anything. Maybe I changed something with him? They do say that acts of kindness are contagious.

1 comment:

Karen Sandstrom said...

Hey! Great downtown sketches. You've been working hard and having fun.