Saturday, July 10, 2010

New Project


This is a bad photograph, but this piece is too big to stick on the scanner like I normally do. I'm working on a large piece that is going to be part of a series about food politics. This is the beginnings of one of the pieces. It's the capital building, if you couldn't tell. There's going to be more going on which I can post later.

For the last couple of years, I've been reading a lot about the American food system. My belief is that the entire system from farmer to consumer is broken (and, yes, I believe that the consumer is broken too). The thing that really amazes me is that even though I know so much about what is "good" and "bad" in the realm of food; I continue to make "bad" decisions when deciding what to eat. Why is that? Why do we do that? Why is most of our supermarkets full of unhealthy food choices? Why is it that you go to a drug store to get things to help your health, yet they offer the worst possible food choices avaible? Shouldn't a drug store offer healthy alternatives? Or, do they have a vested interest in us being unhealthy?
Lots of quesitons I've been asking while I've been doing this reading.
And, that's not even getting into the waste of it all.
Okay, was that depressing enough for you this morning? If so, just click on the picture and enjoy the bad photograph of my drawing.

1 comment:

john.p said...

I've been doing the same reading and asking the same questions. My daughter-in-law is a vegetarian and my son is a part-timer. As a kid I would ridicule such beliefs. Now I think they have more right than wrong.