Sunday, August 16, 2009

Cuyahoga River Bridge

Went on the weekly sketchcrawl again this morning before work. We drew on the steps of the U.S. Courthouse, and even though I've done that a couple of times over the summer, I went over without complaining (too much). It almost forced me to draw a bridge, since I'd drawn several other landmarks around that area.

I'd toned my moleskine paper with Montana Gold spray paint prior to going. Next time, I'll do it the night before, since all I could smell was the spray paint while I drew.

Somehow, the bridge came out looking very cute. Though, in reality, it's very industrial.



2 comments:

Karen Sandstrom said...

I know what you mean about the bridge looking cute, though that's not a bad thing. How did you like working with the pre-toned paper (aside from the odor)?

Maureen said...

It works really well. It doesn't warp the paper, gives a nice even coat, and accepts pencil/eraser well. Microns don't work well, and I have one color that a Sharpie won't go down well on.

Plus, wet color sits on the surface the way it does on the sketch Moleskine, but I just give it extra time to dry up, then it's fine.